Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Monday, August 26, 2024

Odor Shaming in International Travel- A Taboo Subject?

Some of the comments I received from a few of my readers here at THD is the fact that my blog encompasses various topics. The subject in today's blog will probably elicit a comment that David is running out of ideas. The answer is, No, I am not running out of ideas. This topic is just interesting to me because I have personal experiences related to this article. If the title of the blog does not interest You, I have no problem, just don't read it.
In my younger and professional years, I have experienced international travel several times, thus have experienced the following article, which to some of you may not be a topic you want to read about. However, I felt compel to discuss it. If you feel queasy on the subject, please do not read.

ODOR SHAMING IN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL- From My FaceBook Page The Other Day
"I was one of many Filipino travelers who used to odor-shame other travelers and even the local people of a host country. I used to think that we Filipinos smelled so good. Then, I too was odor-shamed. To them, all Filipinos smell like stale fish.
Odor shaming, a subtle but pervasive issue in international travel, occurs when travelers are judged for their body odors or scents associated with their native cultures. This often stems from cultural differences in scent perception, where what is considered normal or pleasant in one culture may be deemed offensive in another. This lack of understanding can lead to discomfort and insecurity for travelers, exacerbating feelings of alienation in a foreign environment.
As much as I would like to call for an end to odor shaming, I’d also like to share what made me realize the benefits of embracing people’s natural odor or scent:
1. If you’re a joiner in a multi-race group tour with people who aren’t easily offended, “cultural” odor can actually be a fun icebreaker.
2. Smell fatigue is real, and the more you are exposed to a certain odor, the more you’ll get used to it, which can prepare you to deal with similar scents in the future.
3. Lovemaking is more enjoyable when you can smell your partner’s natural scent, as long as the body is clean with odor-neutralizing soap, eliminating the need for deodorant, which can taste bitter, chemical-like, and unnatural when licked.
4. Embracing natural scents helps break down barriers between people, allowing for more genuine connections based on authenticity rather than superficial standards of cleanliness or beauty.
5. Appreciating natural odors can also heighten your sensory awareness, making you more attuned to the subtleties of different environments and enhancing your overall travel experience".

Personal Notes: In general body odor is a result of a person's diet. It is also related to how we do Our Personal Hygiene Practices. Some of you take a bath or shower Daily. Others just do TAPA clean-up. Daily Showers or Bath is not good for your skin, but daily TAPA will completely removed body odor. It is better than masking it with cologne or perfume💚. If you read this, do you shower daily, use perfume or cologne or just do TAPA with showers in between? 

If you do not know the abbreviation of TAPA, here's the Hint- T is for your teeth, A is for armpits and P is for -----( 5 letters word in both genders) and A ---( 3 letters). Did you get it?  

In the Philippines, when I was growing up, the use of cologne/perfume is considered not a masculine activity and was not be encourage, so many Filipinos are reluctant to use colognes/perfumes. But deodorants and shaving creams are popular. I remember , my mother would shout to us kids to do TAPA, before we run out from the house to school.  Comments any one? Here's the list of the top 5 Men's cologne available today! 


Here's my favorite but not in the List above.

Lastly, The sense of smell, or olfaction, is the special sense through which smells (or odors) are perceived. The sense of smell has many functions, including detecting desirable foods, hazards, and pheromones, and plays a role in taste. In humans, it occurs when an odor binds to a receptor within the nasal cavity, transmitting a signal through the olfactory system.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...