Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Thursday, August 29, 2024

Art Appreciation 101- David and Saul ( 1885)

Some of us are lucky to have taken Art and Music Appreciation Classes during our formative and younger years. But most of us have not been exposed how to appreciate Art and Music that sometimes touches our spirit, mind and soul. Thus allow me to share with you this painting of David and Saul by Julius Kronberg.

From My Facebook Page The Other Day

"David and Saul" (1885) by Julius Kronberg
🔍 The Story Behind the Painting
Julius Kronberg's David and Saul, painted in 1885, beautifully captures a poignant biblical moment between the young David and King Saul. This scene is inspired by the story from the Book of Samuel, where David, a young shepherd who would later become King, plays his harp to soothe the troubled King Saul, who is tormented by an evil spirit. The painting reflects the complex relationship between the two figures—David's innocence and talent juxtaposed with Saul's growing paranoia and despair. Kronberg, known for his detailed and emotive works, brings this narrative to life through his use of vivid colors and dramatic lighting, emphasizing the psychological tension between the two characters.
🖼️ Hidden Details
In the painting, Saul is depicted reclining on a luxurious couch, draped in regal attire, yet his posture and expression suggest deep melancholy and inner conflict. David, seated at his feet, is focused intently on playing the harp, his bare skin and simple attire contrasting with Saul's opulence. The use of light in the painting highlights David's youthful energy and purity, while Saul is partially shrouded in shadow, symbolizing his mental and spiritual darkness. The background, adorned with ancient Egyptian motifs, adds an exotic element to the setting, reminding viewers of the historical and cultural distance of the biblical narrative.
🤔 Why It Matters
Kronberg's David and Saul is more than just a depiction of a biblical story; it is an exploration of the themes of jealousy, mental anguish, and the power of music to heal or soothe troubled souls. The painting resonates with viewers not only for its artistic mastery but also for its deep emotional and psychological insight into the human condition.
🏛️ Where to See It
This masterpiece is housed in the National Museum in Stockholm, Sweden. It remains one of Julius Kronberg's most celebrated works, continuing to captivate audiences with its rich narrative and striking visual impact.

Lastly, in my blogs, I have been posting that I love to write, dance and sing, but never had the talent for painting/drawing. I also mentioned that my late Father, Dr. David Jamili Katague was an excellent caricaturists/painter and my youngest daughter inherited this artistic talent, Grieving Thru Glee. For Ditas Paintings visit her website/video as follows:  



Good Day to ALL!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...