Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Monday, July 22, 2024

THD Resident Art Festival- My Wood Carvings and Other Collections

Sixteen Artist and Collectors participated during yesterday THD Resident Arts Festival.  Paintings, Decoupage, Quilts and Residents Miscellaneous Collections of teapots, knives, poems, ceramics, drawings, embroideries, and jewelry and other collectibles were exhibited. The Yoga Room was a Kaleidoscope of Colors and filled with vibrant Art Work. The Art show was well attended.  Sangria and  light refreshments were served. Thanks Galen and Teresa for another Resident Activity that enhance our community sense of belonging.  

I was thinking of signing up to show my wood carvings collection from the Philippines, But I decided not to participate because I felt no energy transporting my collections to the Exhibit Room. Needless to say,  I am presenting my wood carvings collection if you read the site at the bottom of the Page💚 as well as my postings on my coin and Hawaiian/Mexican Shirts Collection. 

Some of my wood carving collections from the Philippines 

I was also thinking of also showing my Hawaiian and Mexican Shirt Collection as well as my Filipino Barong Collection, but it just too bulky for showing purposes. But for textiles color and beauty, My Hawaiian Shirts and Barong Collection is of Exhibition Quality ( see photo).

My More than a Dozen Hawaiian and Mexican Shirts in MY Collection.

 Meanwhile, here are some photos I took at the Residents Art Festival.  Enjoy!     






















💚https://marinduqueonmymind.blogspot.com/2017/02/my-collection-of-wood-carvings-and.html

I also have a small coin and stamp collection as wells a few painting collection💟.  A resident told me after leaving the show, she felt inferior because she has no artistic Talent. I told her everyone has talent in one form or another, so NO ONE should feel inferior because she/he do not paint or collect art work and other collectibles. 

https://theintellectualmigrants.blogspot.com/2024/02/some-of-my-coin-collections.html

💟https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2024/05/santos-paintings-and-framed-photosart.html

5 comments:

Dean Elias said...

Incredibly lovely: thanks for the pictures, thanks for sharing. . . Dean

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your reflections and your photos of the art festival. Carol and I had a great time!

Here's a thought regarding transporting items: WE utilized the services of Clear Organizing, the company that helped us with our move here. They transported our art, set it up in the yoga studio, and moved what was left back to our apartment. You might consider a service like that should you want to participate in a future art festival.

Much love, John

Anonymous said...

David- what is a Barong? Gwen

David B Katague said...

Gwen- A Barong is Filipino National Shirt- originally made from pineapple fibers. Today it has been modernized using modern textiles. It is usually worn during special occasions in the Philippines during weddings etc....The original color was always white or beige, but today it comes in a rainbow of colors. Thank You for asking, David

David B Katague said...

Gwen here's the description of the Barong from Wikipedia: The barong tagalog, more commonly known simply as barong (and occasionally baro), is an embroidered long-sleeved formal shirt for men and a national dress of the Philippines. Barong tagalog combines elements from both the precolonial native Filipino and colonial Spanish clothing styles. It is traditionally made with sheer textiles (nipis) woven from piña or abacá; although in modern times, cheaper materials like organza silk, ramie or polyester are also used.

It is a common formal or semi-formal attire in Filipino culture, and is worn untucked over an undershirt with belted trousers and dress shoes. Baro't saya is the feminine equivalent of barong tagalog, with the Maria Clara gown being the formal variant of the latter. Barong tagalog was also known as camisa fuera ("outer shirt") in Philippine Spanish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...