Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Sunday, July 7, 2024

Lunch Excursion to the Claremont Club and Spa, Berkeley, California

From Left to Right: Mimoot, Pam, Anne, Mary Ann, Farna, Carol, Me, Jan, Ray, Galen, Susie and Jay 

THD sponsored another successful lunch excursion yesterday. It was at the Claremont Club and SPA formerly called the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley.  For the history and grandeur of this 5 Star hotel read:

 https://www.fairmont.com/claremont-berkeley/?cmpid=google_cla_search-brand-ww_claremont-b-revsh&kpid=go_cmp-394295891_adg-103335444120_ad-433742960301_kwd-18807763_dev-c_ext-_prd-&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1qO0BhDwARIsANfnkv-JqFuGST6PJpCq2ruhSwH3Exz0ZUb1O9kOxV9bh3uNaWsFEcAFmg0aAqiJEALw_wcB

The last time, I was in this hotel was in the late 1980's when the David B Katague Clan was still residing in Pinole, CA.  Macrine (RIP) and I used to Dine and Dance at the Starlight Club on special occasions. So, this excursion triggered pleasant memories of this place. The hotel and Spa has been renovated and has remained one of the most beautiful hotel in the East Bay.   Here's a description of the place from their website.  

"Situated on 22 acres in the East Bay with breathtaking views of San Francisco, Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel seamlessly blends its rich history with modern resort amenities for an unforgettable retreat. The imposing Tudor Revival-style palace nestled in the hills is a magnificent landmark that dates from 1915, but it’s the extensive wellness facilities that secure its top spot among the best hotels in Berkeley. The Club offers endless ways to recharge, including three heated outdoor pools, tennis and yoga. Book a bespoke massage at The Fairmont Spa for the ultimate sensory escape".

And now for my photos starting from THD. One THD resident requested that she does want her photo in my blog, however if her fat back and face showed in some of our group photos, my sincere apology.   

View of the Tennis Courts from the Balcony with the City of San Francisco as Background

Table 2, Inside the Limewood Restaurant


In my table (1)-Linda L, MaryAnn D and Jay P. The other resident by the side of Jay requested that I do not published her photo in my blogs. 

The huge and super spacious lobby of the hotel- Beautiful and Modern


The Lobby


The Brunch and Lunch Menu- Limewood Restaurant
 

The sauce was outstanding, I wonder what is the recipe?

My Prawns with Grits cooked Ala New Orleans Style- a little spicy but yummy. 


A Dozen Fresh Oysters after Mary Ann and I relish it with abandon. Expensive but worth it!

Waiting for the other Residents at the THD Lobby (2 Residents that Signed Did Not Show Up) 

I had my jacket, just in case the Air-conditioning system at the Limewood Restaurant  is set to Arctic Condition-similar to our Newton's Restaurant AC system. 


Mary Ann, we are not shopping! the embroidered blouses were beautiful though.

Beautiful and Petite Mary Ann Dewald- incidentally my first teenager crush in high school was also named Mary Ann. She did not like me as I was a Nerd. She preferred the Captain of our Basketball team.  Needless to say I was devastated, but I survived my teen-age years. 


OutDoor Seatings in the Limewood Restaurant Patio- A Beautiful, sunny day at 74C.   



The Tennis Courts and the Birds-Eye View of the City of San Francisco in the Distance

The Distant View of San Francisco with the Tennis Courts in the background


My Kudos to Activity Director Galen Corson and Our Capable and Efficient Driver, Nancy Carson for another successful lunch excursion.  

1 comment:

Dean Elias said...

Thanks, David, for sharing a window into this lovely adventure. . . Dean'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...