Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Artificial Intelligence and the Bridge Game

If you are a Bridge Player, Read This! If Not You don't have too. Anyway, Have a Good Day!  

Playing Party Bridge at the Sportsmen of Stanislaus County ( SOS) Country Club. Modesto, Ca-1970-1974. Me and Macrine (RIP) with Dr and Mrs. Richard LaVine.  

I found this article recently in my BBO E-mail box. I am excited to share it with my Bridge Friends Here at THD as well as all the Bridge Player in the World. At the bottom of the page is my posting why playing bridge is good for your brain and mental stimulation. 💚

 

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts of all things bridge. In the ongoing saga of AI versus human intellect, we've seen our silicon adversaries conquer chess grandmasters with the cold precision of a robotic guillotine. Yet, there's one game where the human spirit still holds strong against the binary onslaught: bridge.

 

­ 
­ 

Bridge is one of the last games in which the computer is not better.

­

- Bill Gates

Yes, you heard that right - AI hasn't quite cracked the code of this intricate game of incomplete information and subtle cooperation.

 

While supercomputers can churn through more permutations than there are atoms in the universe, bridge remains a realm where human intuition, communication, and the occasional bluff still reign supreme. Our brains, honed by millennia of evolution and countless social interactions (and maybe a few family dinners), excel at interpreting subtle facial cues, deciphering body language, and navigating the complex dance of partnership.

 

But wait a moment - before you start crafting statues in honor of human superiority, there's a twist in the tale. Recently, AI managed to steal a few wins against bridge champions - not in a direct head-to-head game, though.

 

So, what's the verdict? Can AI snatch the crown of bridge mastery from our unsuspecting hands? Will the next world bridge champion be a series of algorithms in a trench coat pretending to be human?

 

Maybe. But for now, let's revel in the fact that we still hold the cards! Our ability to strategize, empathize, and bluff keeps us at the forefront of this timeless game.

 

Until the next deal is shuffled and the next algorithm devised, let's keep playing, keep strategizing, and keep enjoying the unique blend of logic and creativity that makes bridge - and our human experience - so wonderfully unpredictable.

 

Here's to keeping AI on its toes and humans on their best game!


From the BBO Weekly News: July 21, 2024


Pat Healy- One of My Favorite Bridge Partner Here at THD

💚https://marinduquemyislandparadise.blogspot.com/2014/11/i-play-bridge-daily-to-exercise-my-brain.html

2 comments:

Dean Elias said...

As always, a delightful reflection, David. . . Dean

Andi Shafer said...

I enjoyed this posting. Bridge is a great game. It creates life-long friendships and makes you think. Bridge availability is one of my criteria for moving to THD.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...