Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

FILIPINO ACCENT IS A LINGUISTIC MASTERPIECE


From My FaceBook Page Today:

Move over, French and Italian—there’s a new contender in town, and it’s coming straight from the heart of Southeast Asia. I mean, who wouldn’t find it irresistibly attractive when “fantastic” turns into 💚“pantas-tic” and “thank you” becomes a heartfelt 💚“tank you”? It’s like music to the ears, especially if you love heavy metal.
Forget about those smooth-talking Japanese or melodious Koreans, it's time to embrace the linguistic charm of the Philippines, where every "F" and "T" takes on a life of its own. Imagine ordering a "pork" at a restaurant and getting a puzzled look, only to realize you meant a "fork." Oh, the delightful confusion!
But let’s not stop there. The true beauty of the Filipino accent lies in its ability to transform everyday words into linguistic adventures. Picture this: a simple trip to the market becomes an epic journey as you navigate the pronunciation maze. Need some fish? Just ask for “pish” and watch the vendor’s face light up with understanding.
Want to compliment someone’s outfit? Tell them they look “ter-rific,” with an emphasis on the “ter.” It’s like a verbal rollercoaster, thrilling and full of unexpected twists and turns.
Let's not even start on the silent "T." We Filipinos have mastered the art of making it vanish completely. Just try saying "bottle" or "little" without tripping over your tongue. We say “batol” or “litol”. It's a talent, really, to make certain sounds so elusive.
And let’s not forget the pièce de résistance—those delightful moments when the letter “P” steps in to save the day. Need to fill up your car? Just head to the “petrol station” and ask for some “fool.” You’ll be driving away in no time, charmed by the efficiency and flair of it all.
The next time you're in the Philippines, embrace the sexy accent. Ask for a "pork" and a "sFoon," and enjoy the musicality of a conversation where every word is an adventure. Because in the end, it's not just an accent—it's a celebration of linguistic ingenuity.
So here’s to the Filipino accent, the sexiest soundwaves to grace Asia. It’s a phonetic wonderland where every conversation is a delightful mix of charm, confusion, and a whole lot of heart.
Tank you very much!
I hope this posting put a smile in your Face. 💚There is to no "F" or "TH" in the Filipino Alphabet. Sometimes, I am guilty of the above transgression also. All my kids who grow up here in the US, sometimes tell me my Filipino accent is still apparent even after residing here in the US for almost 65 years. But I am very, very proud of my Pinoy ancestry and roots.

Lastly, the following article I am dedicating to all my Bridge Friends here at THD. If you have played Duplicate Bridge Before you will love this article.


Here's my quote from my previous posting on Playing Bridge: Bridge is a partnership game. It is very, very important that you and your partner are compatible. When I say you must be compatible, I meant your skill and knowledge of the game is about in the same level with your partner. If you are more skillful in the game than your partner, and if you are not patient, the game of bridge, instead of being fun, will be a source of frustration and irritation. You will know exactly what I am trying to say when you start to actually play a bridge game, especially playing duplicate bridge in a tournament.

“Old Bridge players never die; they just lose their finesse.”
Personl  Notes:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...