Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Philippines Has More than 180 Languages and Has 7,641 Islands

Did you Know That....

The Philippines is home to over 180 living languages spoken across 7,641 islands. This astonishing linguistic diversity makes the archipelago one of the most multilingual nations on the planet. From the eight major regional languages recognized in the constitution to dozens of indigenous tongues spoken by small communities in remote mountain villages and isolated island groups, the Philippine linguistic landscape is a living tapestry of human expression shaped by thousands of years of migration, trade, and cultural exchange.
Filipino (based on Tagalog) and English serve as the official languages of government, education, and commerce, but step outside Metro Manila and the linguistic reality becomes far more complex and beautiful. In the Visayas, Cebuano, Hiligaynon, and Waray dominate daily life. In Mindanao, Maguindanaon, Maranao, and Tausug carry centuries of Islamic scholarly tradition. In the Cordilleras, Ilocano, Kankanaey, and Ifugao preserve the worldview of highland peoples. Each language carries unique concepts, humor, poetry, and ways of understanding the world that cannot be fully translated into any other.
The threat of language loss is real. UNESCO has classified several Philippine languages as endangered or critically endangered, as younger generations in smaller communities shift to Filipino or English for economic mobility. Language preservation efforts, including mother-tongue-based multilingual education policies and community documentation projects, aim to keep these voices alive for future generations.
How many Philippine languages can you speak or understand, even a little?

Meanwhile, My Photo of the Day: Do you see Me in this Collage

Finally, My Reel Of the Day: Six Japanese Principles in Life:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...