Welcome to My Site

If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my mid-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Macrine(RIP),Me and my oldest son are the Intellectual migrants. Were were born in the Philippines, came to the US in 1960 and later became US citizens in 1972. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!

Thursday, March 30, 2023

Downsizing is Not for the Faint-Hearted- Estate Sale Services

This Victorian dresser that Macrine( RIP) and I was purchased in The Goodwill Store in Chicago, Illinois in 1960. It had been carried and transported in our 12 moves all over the US during the last six decades of our lives here in the US. It is with great sadness that I will part with this furniture very closed to my heart here in the US.   

Downsizing is not for the Faint-Hearted, but it is Part of the Aging Process. My heart melt with sadness just thinking that some of my properties and accumulations for the last six decades will be gone soon.

In my process of downsizing, my realtor gave me a list of Estate Sales Services in my area. After talking to ten agencies,  I decided to hire the services of  James Estate Sales, Sacramento, Ca. Below is information from their FaceBook page.  

https://www.facebook.com/JamesEstateSales/


This is a 3-drawer desk with secret compartment inside. Another antique, I have to part with sadness and sorrow as it reminded me of my graduate student days in Chicago, Illinois, 1959-1964.
 

There are other items for sale, hundreds of collectibles from the Philippines and small souvenirs from our travels in Europe and the Caribbean.  Several pieces of Wood Carvings, and Capiz shell products from the Philippines are for sale. My numerous indoor plants, my statuaries/garden plaques and potted fruit trees/ornamentals and all outdoor furnitures will be on sale. Hundreds of other items of household and collectibles are for sale. Sterling Silver set, Bone China and Depression Glass are also on sale.  China Cabinet, A Curio Cabinet and a Piano are on sale. An electric Bed is for sale. More than a hundred musical pieces including Pinoy Kundimans and Broadway songs are yours for a buck. Garden tools are also for sale.


 

The date of the sale is on April 28, 29 and 30 ( Friday, Saturday and Sunday) from 10AM to 2PM.  It will be first come first serve Basis.  Persons allowed in the house per 30 minutes will be monitored and limited. If you have never attended an Estate Sale here's some information.  

An Estate Sale, also called a Tag Sale in some parts of the country, is a way of liquidating the belongings of a family or estate. These are usually much more than garage or yard sales. They are used when someone is in need of a way to sell items due to downsizing, moving, divorce, bankruptcy, or death. The public is invited into the home and given the opportunity to purchase any item that is priced for sale. At times there are items that are not for sale because the family has decided to keep them or new owners of the house have made them part of a contract to buy the house.

There are several ways that Estate Sales are run. Items are marked with a selling price, and if you want an item you usually pick it up and carry it with you until you are ready to check out. If an item is too large to carry, you can have it Marked Sold. If you do not want to pay the marked price, some companies accept Bids. However, you are taking a chance that someone else might be willing to pay the marked price before the end of the sale when bids are usually opened.

For lining up and entering the sale, most companies use the First Come, First Served policy. This is when a line is formed at the door of the home where the sale is taking place. Lines may start several hours before the sale opens. Most people know how to use this system. There are always those who feel they are entitled to a front spot, but this is not the case.

There is such a thing as Estate Sale Etiquette. Some companies use a Number System, and they usually have some sort of policy concerning this, so be sure to check with the individual companies for their rules. There are also companies that use the Self Start Number System. This type of system is vulnerable to many abuses, and companies that use this system usually do have a strict policy on how they are handled.

Sign-up Sheets are also used and are similar to self-start numbering. Again, there is a chance of abuse here too. Some companies allow everyone in line to enter the sale, and others have limited access. For details read:

   https://www.estatesales.net/learn/what-is-an-estate-sale

I have attended numerous Garage and Yard Sales during my six decades of residence here in the US. However, last year was my first Estate Sales that I have participated. It was my neighbor across the street who was also downsizing. It was also a 3-Day event. I noticed that the first items coming out of her house were potted plants and ornamental followed by some furnitures. On the 3rd day I was curious as there was a 50% sign in the front yard.  There were about a dozen buyers and lookers. I purchased a $2 set of napkin rings that matches my collection of  4-piece shell candy dish for $1. The photo is shown below with my Blue Imari Tea Pot , my green depression glass candy dish and a lead crystal bowl that will be sold this coming April 28, 29 and 30.


I will keep my 4-piece shell-design napkin holder set not because I will use it, but just a memento of my first Estate Sale experience.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...